A few weeks ago I had the privilege of photographing the action of an upcoming TV show called “Shorelines” which will premier on WFN January 2015.
I hadn’t yet met April, but have wanted to ever since I got into Fly Fishing. As most of you know… she’s quite the girl. Funny, kind, adventurous, passionate and loves fishing more than anyone I know… except for my husband.
When I got the call to ask if I wanted to come photograph for the show, it was an immediate “HELL YEAH!!”
I’d never been to BC.It’s more beautiful than I could have imagined. I am officially in love with Canada.
It was quite the week. Photographing her fishing was awesome & painful. Awesome because I was in some amazing places, photographing my fishing hero, and exploring with an amazing crew. Painful in the sense that I WANTED TO BE FISHING SO BAD! But I had to put my professional game face on… or so I thought…
While spending time with April, it was clear that we just “got” each other. She is hilarious, crazy, spontaneous, adventurous and not afraid to act silly. We laughed so hard I think I grew abs on that trip. Making new friends that truly get you is rare, but one of the greatest things you could ask for. April said I’m her “Sista from another mista” and I couldn’t agree more. I don’t have any sisters… grew up with 3 crazy brothers… but now I have a “Fly Sister”, and it’s pretty great.
Okay enough of the mushy friend love… I’m sure you all want to know what really went down on this trip and see some pics!
Here are my top 10 memories from our trip (not in any particular order):
10: Exploring the incredible scenery.
9: Seeing some awesome fish fights.
8. BEARS! We saw lots… it was neat.
7. Working with the awesome crew of Vantage Point Media. These guys are the best, and SO much fun!
6. Watching April cast. It’s a beautiful thing, and I watched and studied a lot… when I finally got the chance to fish, she helped me out and I am finally getting the hang of spey casting!
5. Colby & Moky. These dogs are so special, and love adventure as much as their parents!
4. Horse Head Memories. We had way too much fun with this freaking thing.
3. Hanging with Gene & crew at the incredible “Bear Claw Lodge“. New bucket list item: Heliski and stay at this place!
2. Learning the history behind it all. April has researched so much about steelhead and atlantic salmon. Where it all started, the pioneers behind it, tradition flies used, history, the way these fish live, move, where they come from, where they go… and much much more. It was amazing to get a tiny chunk of her knowledge and learn some history behind the amazing passion of chasing steelhead.
April & Charles catch their first steelhead as a married couple! (Pic not taken on this trip… it was just too cute not to add)
1. Fishing with April, Charles & Catherine. These are some of the nicest, funnest, adventurous, passionate people I have ever known, and it was a life highlight to be able to share these experiences with them.
Matt got some awesome steelhead too! He was in heaven!
My FIRST BC steelhead on the swing!!! An amazing feeling.
This is what helplessly happens to your body after you catch a beautiful steelhead:
Thank you April, Charles, Cat, VP Media, WFN, and everyone else involved in this awesome show.
Matt and I had the time of our lives and we better see you all again soon!!
Follow April on her journey here: